I wanted a Joomla! module that could reset a specific article's hits or hit counter.
I'm using the popular items module to display a list of most popular articles on my 404 page. I want to exclude some articles from "climbing" the popular article ladder. In the past I had to manually reset those articles' hits to prevent them from moving up on the "popular items" list. I searched the Internet and the Joomla! Extensions directory, but could not find anything that did what I needed. I got so fed up with manually resetting the hits, that I decided to write my own module in the end.
Installation and use:The "Hits Reset" module does not have any parameters and does not display anything. You do not even need to enable it for that matter. When you place it in an article and that article is displayed, it will reset that specific article's hit counter to zero. No mess, no fuss. Just place it and forget about it. Read the instruction below for a step-by-step overview of using it.
- In order to use the "Hits Reset" Joomla! module, you first need install another Joomla! extension - the great "Modules Anywhere" plugin. It can be found in the Joomla! Extensions Directory as indicated below in the screen capture. You can click on the image to open the link to it in a new window.
- Download the "Hits Reset" module by clicking >HERE< and install it. This link will always point to the latest version. Joomla! 1.5 only.
- Go to the Joomla! Article Manager and select the article you want to edit. In the screen capture below I'll be inserting the "Hits Reset" module into the "What's New in 1.5?" article - shown here with 216 hits.
- Now when you edit the article, you'll notice a new "Module" button at the bottom of the content pane as indicate blow in the screen capture. Click on it to select the "Hits Reset" module for insertion into the article.
- You can click on the module name or on the module ID. Clicking on the name will result in it being referred to by name, making it easy for you to know what module you've inserted when you edit the article later on. Clicking on the module ID, will result in it being referred to by ID, making it unnecessary to update the article when you change the module name.
- In the screen capture below you can see what was inserted into the article. Yes, easy enough to do by hand, but with the slick interface of the "Modules Anywhere" plugin, why bother...
- Save your article and you're done. Now when somebody visits that specific article, the "Hits Reset" module will be activated. It will reset that specific article's hit counter to 0.
You can download mod_HitsReset_2.zip for Joomla 1.5 by clicking here
Download the "Modules Anywhere" module to publish my module in articles for best results by clicking here.
My module resets a specific content item or article's hits, because that is what I needed. If you want to reset a load of stats at once, go and have a look at Joomla! StatsCleaner
You can contact me at: cobus DOT taljaard AT gmail DOT com
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.